sábado, 24 de octubre de 2015

Reading test: What I’m really thinking- The fitness instructor

In this week's reading test we are going to practise the kind of insert-a-word kind of task and to do so we are going to use an article from The Guardian feature What I'm really thinking, The fitness instructor.

Read the text and insert the missing word in the corresponding gap 1-12 from the list given below. There are three words you do not need to use. 0 is an example.

 What I’m really thinking- The fitness instructor

Early starts are a (0) downside but it never ceases to amaze me how many people are queueing to get into the gym every morning at 6am. The diehards who can’t start the day without their (1) … ; the city banker trying to de-stress before work; the retired pensioner who can’t get out of the (2) … of waking early; the fitness (3) … who will be back in the gym at 6pm.

The best part of my job is seeing someone who starts out very unfit and (4) … and goes on to become healthy and strong. They often say, “I couldn’t have done it without you”, but the truth is they have done it all by themselves. I can’t control how much they eat at the end of each day, or give them the (5) … to push that extra weight.

I have lost (6) … of how many people I have sent to their (7)… after finding high blood pressure during their first induction. Maybe I saved their life in the long run. I like to see trainee instructors who start this job with little confidence but go on to be brilliant personal trainers. Some are never going to make the mark – I’ll stop them before they (8) … someone because of their training techniques.

The bad bits are few: clearing up sweat from the cross trainer because someone feels entitled to leave their (9) … for someone else; the injuries when someone falls backwards off a moving treadmill (10) … trying to send a text; worrying about the anorexic who shouldn’t even be in the gym. But you can’t stop people (11)… they are adults.

The job is different every day and in a way we are (12) … hairdressers: we get to hear your life stories.

addict
as
count
downside 0 Example
drive
GP
habit
injure
like
mess
once
overweight
PR
unless
while
workout
cross trainer

KEY:
1 workout
2 habit
3 addict
4 overweight
5 drive
6 count
7 GP
8 injure
9 mess
10 while
11 once
12 like