miércoles, 16 de septiembre de 2015

Talking point: Public services and complaints

This week's talking point is public services and complaints. Before getting together with the members of your conversation group, go over the questions below so that ideas flow more easily when you meet up with your friends and you can work out vocabulary problems beforehand.
  • Have you ever complained about services in public places, restaurants, hotels?
  • If so, what happened?
  • When was the last time you were dissatisfied with a service but didn’t complain about it?
  • Why didn’t you complain?
  • Which advice on handling complaints positively would you give?
  • Can you give an example of a business which offers a good / bad customer service?
  • Do you agree with the remark that 'the customer is always right'?
  • What typical complaints people make about your line of work or company?
  • Who is the most/least skillful person at DIY jobs you know?
  • What kind of repairs are you more willing to do yourself / ask a friend or relative to do for you / hire professional people to do?
  • Do you ever volunteer to help friends, family or colleagues if they have some repairs to do?
  • Would you volunteer your time to help people in need or your community?
  • In what areas do you think you could be more helpful? 
To illustrate the topic you can watch the beginning of the Fawlty Towers episode Communication Problems. What would you have done if you had been the receptionist?



Number 17, please. 
That'll be fine, thank you.
Goodbye. Thank you so much.
Hello, Fawlty Towers.
Oh, hello, Mr. Hawkins.
I've arranged your car for 2:00 this afternoon.
Thank you.
Well, you did say today, Mr. Hawkins.
You do accept checks? 
With a banker's card, yes.
Well, we have to cancel the order then.
Yes. No, no, 5:00 will be fine.Goodbye
Polly, Brenda can't start till Monday so would you mind doing the rooms until then?
Oh, no. I could do with the money.
Oh, good
There you are
Thank you, Mr. Yardley
Oh, hello. Can I help you?
Yes... 
Girl, would you give me change for this, please?
In one moment. I'm just dealing with this gentleman.
Yes, Mr. Thurston... 
What?
Thank you, I was wondering if... 
I need change for this!
In a moment. I'm dealing with this gentleman.
But I have a taxl driver waiting. Surely this gentleman wouldn't mind if you just gave me change.
Do you? 
No, no. Go ahead.
There you are.
Can you tell me how to get to Glendower Street?
Now, I've booked a room and bath with a sea view for three nights.
Glendower Street? 
Yes.
You haven't finished with me.
Missus...?
Mrs. Richards. Mrs. Alice Richards.
Mrs. Richards, Mr. Thurston.
Mr. Thurston, Mrs. Richards.
Mr. Thurston is the gentleman I'm attending to at the moment.
What?
Mr. Thurston is the gentleman I'm attending...
Don't shout. I'm not deaf.
Mr. Thurston was here before you, Mrs. Richards.
But you were serving me!
I gave you change, but I hadn't finished dealing with him.
Now, Glendower Street...
Isn't there anyone else in attendance here? Really, this is the most appalling service!
What a good idea!
Manuel, could you lend Mrs. Richards your assistance in connection with her reservation?
Now...
I've reserved a very quiet room with a bath and a sea view. I specifically asked for a sea view in my written confirmation, so please make sure I have it.
Qué?
What? 
Qué?
K? 
Sí.
C?
"KC"?
"KC"? What are you trying to say?
No, no, no, no.
Qué: What. 
K-watt?
Sí. Qué... what.
C.K. Watt? 
Yes!
Who is C.K. Watt?
Qué?
Is he the manager, Mr. Watt?
Oh, manaher! 
He is?
Ah, Mr. Fawlty!
What? 
Fawlty!
What are you talking about, you silly little man?
What is going on here?
I ask him for my room, and he tells me the manager's a Mr. Watt, aged 40.
No. No, no.
Faw-lty.
"Faulty"? What's wrong with him?
It's all right, Mrs. Richards. He's from Barcelona.
The manager's from Barcelona?
No, no, no. He's from Swanage.
And you're in 22. 
What?
You're in room 22. Manuel, take these cases up to 22, will you?