martes, 10 de febrero de 2015

Celebrities vs Normal People in Advertising Debate

In our Madrid Teacher series, a group of teachers discuss the presence of celebrities in advertising. As usual, their conversation gives us an opportunity to revise some of the features of spoken English they use.

First of all, watch the video through so that you can get the gist of what they are saying.

Now watch the video more carefully, paying attention to the following:
  • Use of fillers to gain thinking time: like; you know; well
  • Use of vague language: or something like that; and everything
  • Use of I mean to paraphrase what you have said and make yourself clear
  • Showing agreement: okay; yes; Yeah; Exactly!
  • Use of so as a linking word
  • Pay attention to the number of times the speakers repeat words and phrases (that's another strategy to gain thinking time): Look, look at the statistics...; Why not, why not to aspire to try...
  • Also pay attention to the number of false starts (speakers start a sentence one way and then go back to the beginning and start the same sentence differently, probably because they didn't know how to continue or finish off the first sentence): to look after our bodies more to, to be, you know, to do more exercise...; do we, we... I think it’s better to have,



I’m fed up with watching like David Beckham and on top of it the guy is like getting a billion dollars or something like that, I mean, from from advertising. I don’t aspire to be David Beckham. I know I’m never going to be like him.
But he’s inspiring us to, to look after our bodies more to, to be, you know, to do more exercise, to not eat fatty food, you know.
I don’t need to be inspired. I’m mature adult. I can inspire myself.
I know it’s good for me!
I do what I can but in my own possibilities.
Look, look at the statistics, you know, 40% of Americans and British people…are obese!
Well, okay, that’s going to the extreme, yes.
David Beckham is not going to change that. Natalie Portman is not going to change that.
Well, think about like kids, do we, we... I think it’s better to have, you know, pictures of slim-looking kids for adverts on the food products.
That’s very dangerous territory there because those kids are the ones who are most likely to turn into anorexics and bulimics and everything.
Yeah, but that’s taking, that’s taking the other, the other extreme.
This is all about society being sick!
No, society isn’t as, we are sick already, we have, we are obese.
Society is not the sickness. The sickness is like this fanaticism about, you know, your body, it’s like narcissism.
So we’re saying that it’s okay using the real campaign, real women campaign, okay, fine, so, it’s okay to say, yes, er, be chubby, be voluptuous, be… it doesn’t really matter what… why should we strive to have a better healthier image?
No, I think the image doesn’t, I mean the idea doesn’t change, take care of yourself, right, but if you're not so thin as the lady right on the magazine, then it’s okay.
Why not, why not to aspire to try and have a nice-looking body?
Exactly!
I think the product, I mean, every product should, shouldn’t have to have perhaps some huge goal or objective.
Everyone wants the best, everyone wants the best in life.
All “Dove” wants to do is sell their soap [Yeah.] and the demographics of the situation is that middle-aged or older women are gonna buy the product and they are not looking to sell to younger people.
Well, our argument, our argument is that if you’re going to have images of people, it’s better having images of people [Yes.] that you, we need to aspire to, rather than showing the norm. The norm in society now is that people are getting bigger, and that’s not good. It’s not good for the environment. It’s not good for [Exactly.] your health, the more we’re eating, the more we’re contributing to global warming.
No, I know overweight people, very nice, very friendly, they’re not at all like standoffish and I aspire to some of the qualities that they have. I don’t aspire to be like David Beckham or some of these other people I just don’t, they are alien to me.
We’re not talking about that, how would their personality occur, I’m talking about their body, you know, [Yeah.] the fact, the fact you look after their body, you know, you don’t let yourself go.
Yeah, but a typical body has defects.
Yeah, look at me, you know. I’m, I’m fat too, I’m not talking about, just saying, I want to see people like that, that can help me.
There’s nothing wrong with trying to be skinny.
It’s a bit immature because in the long run everybody is going to lose that body. I’m, I’m afraid that when you turn 65, most people.
My daddy is 70 years old, he goes, he goes jogging, you know, he’s, he’s someone I can aspire to. He keeps thin.
Exactly.
My father as well, he’s very skin, very skinny and I think that’s something I want to try to do.
Well, exactly but I’m sure he has wrinkles, and I’m sure it’s not, you know, all perfection and it’s still beautiful.
But why, but why, why does he keep himself skinny? Because he aspires to look good even for an 80-year-old, for an 80-year-old.
Or he wants to be healthy I imagine, I mean he wants to be healthy, yes.
So what’s wrong with trying to put er, an actor, an actress, or not even an actor, an actress [Yeah.], a regular person who has a healthy body.
Exactly, you want to be healthy, but you don’t have to be skinny for that.