viernes, 7 de noviembre de 2014

Don’t buy stuff you can't afford

This is a Saturday Night Segment featuring Steve Martin about the dangers of consumerism and running into debt that many people are falling into today.

Self-study activity:
Watch the video and complete the missing sentences in the transcript. This activity is kind of dictation-like, so you will have to stop the video to write the sentences.

The activity is suitable for intermediate 2 students.



Ah, I just can't get these numbers to add up.
It's like we're never going to get outta this hole.
Credit card debt, does it ever end?
Maybe I can help.
We sure could use it.
We've tried debt consolidation companies.
We've even taken out loans to help make our payments.
Well, you're not the only ones. Did you know millions of Americans live (1) ... ? That's why I developed this unique new program for managing your debt. It's called "Don't buy stuff you cannot afford".
Oh, let me see that. If you don't have any money (2) ... . Hm, sounds interesting.
Sounds confusing.
I don't know, honey. This makes a lotta sense. There's a whole section here on how to buy expensive things using money you save.
Give me see that. And (3) ...?
I tell you where and how in chapter three.
Ok, but what if I want something but (4) ... ?
You don't buy it.
Well let's say I don't have enough money to buy something. (5) ... ?
No.
Now I'm really confused.
It's a little confusing at first.
Well, what if you have the money. Can you buy something?
Yes.
Now, (6) ... . Same story?
Nope. You shouldn't buy stuff when you don't have the money.
I think I got it. I buy something I want and then (7) ... , right?
No. You make sure you have money, then you buy it.
Oh, then you buy it. But shouldn't you buy it before you have the money?
No,
Why not?
It's in the book. It's only one page long. (8) ...  and the book is free.
Wow! I like the sound of that.
Yeah, we can (9) ... .
So get outta debt now. Write for your free copy of "Don't Buy Stuff You Cannot Afford". And if you order now you'll also receive "Seriously If You Don't Have The Money Don't Buy It" along with a twelve month subscription to "Stop Buying Stuff Magazine". So order today.

Key:
1 with with debt they cannot control
2 you should not buy anything
3 where would you get this saved money
4 I don't have any money
5 Should I buy it anyway
6 take the money away
7 hope that I can pay for it
8 The advice is priceless
9 put it on our credit card