lunes, 6 de octubre de 2014

Yoga surfer

Michael Fukumura went from being a government lawyer in Washington, D.C. to a yoga instructor and surfing fanatic in San Diego. This is the story of why he left.

Self-study activity:
Watch the video and answer the questions below.

The activity is suitable for intermediate 2 students.


Yoga Surfer from Charles Schwab on Vimeo.

1 What sort of punishment does Michael mention?
2 Why did he really study law?
3 What items of the 'strict dress code' in ATF does he mention?
4 Who made the decision to leave Washington and ATF?
5 What was his parents' reaction at the news of his new lifestyle?
6 Why did he start doing yoga?
7 How did Michael feel the more he did yoga?

You can check your answers by reading the transcript below.


I was born in Japan, Tokyo. In Japanese culture the parents have a very strong influence on their children. Punishment was going to be by the belt (1), so I studied hard and I played the piano and I did all these things sort of conforming to what my parents set of expectations were.
I went into law almost like a default. I didn’t love the law, I looked up to my father and so a lot of it was about wanting to please him (2). After graduating from law school I went to ATF. We had a very strict dress code. It was shirt, tie, dress shoes, dress pants (3). My hair was very, very short. I looked like everyone else, very much fit in to the urban lifestyle of Washington DC.
At the same time I wasn’t fulfilled. I felt there was a big missing piece because I wasn’t in my heart of hearts feeling I was being of great service.
I resisted, but my wife (4) was really adamant about leaving. First time in my entire life where I had no plan. We literally drove cross country with all our possessions and decided hey this is going to be our new life. My parents, by the way, were shocked because I didn’t even have a job (5), I didn’t have a place. I started surfing. It turned me deeper towards where I’d not been focused on, which is spirit. I started having right shoulder issues. I hear that yoga is good for injuries (6). I started doing yoga. What had been like a whisper now became like a real deep calling. All of a sudden things clicked.
The more I did it the more I just started feeling a sense of well-being (7). It was this realization that, wow, there is something about this place that created a… awaking if you will. So now through teaching public classes, teaching one on one, teaching in many different settings, I have a way of giving back where I feel passionate about. So my students, when I see them start to make a shift, perhaps in a relationship, perhaps even they haven’t got a job that is serving them and find something that really wakes them up and they’re passionate about just like I did. That’s really satisfying to me. From that perspective I feel I’m being of service.