lunes, 3 de febrero de 2014

2014 Winter Olympics BBC Poem

This is the BBC official trailer for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, which are due to start on 6 this month.

The film reminds us of  The Lord of the Rings film. The poem is read by British actor Charles Dance, best known for his role as Tywin Lannister in Game of Thrones.

Self-study activity.
Watch the video clip and complete the blanks in the transcript with the missing words.

The activity is suitable for Básico 2 students.



I am the dreadful menace
The one whose will is (1) ...
The haunting chill upon your (2) ...
I am the conundrum
I will summon (3) ...
Of wind and rain and snow
I made the black (4) ... overhead
The ice, like (5) ... , below
Not you, nor any other
Can fathom what is nigh
I will tell you when to (6) ...
And I’ll dictate how (7) ...
The ones that came before you
Stood strong and (8) ... and brave
But I stole those dreams away
Those dreams could not be (9) ...
But now you (10) ... before me
Devoid of all dismay
Could it be, just maybe
I’ll let you have your day?

Key:
1 done 2 neck 3 armies 4 cloud 5 glass 6 jump 7 high 8 tall 9 saved 10 stand