viernes, 26 de julio de 2013

Whitstableman sells seaside lifestyle

Steve Graham, from Whitstable in Kent, is selling his ice-cream shop to start a new life.

Self-study activity:
Watch this BBC video clip by clicking on the link here or on the picture and answer the questions below.

The activity is suitable for intermediate students.


1 How long has Steve run the shop?
2 Why is this the best job in the world?
3 What two tragic moments does Steve talk about?
4 What exactly is Steve putting up for sale?
5 What does Steve say about the people in Whitstable?
6 What are Steve's plans after selling the shop?

You can check the answers by reading the transcript below.

I’ve lived in Whitstable for 12 years but been a fan of Whitstable since the 70’s when I first came here. I built Sundae Sundae 5  years ago, lying on the beach one day I had the idea for a, you know, … seaside shop, traditional ice-cream, old-fashioned toys and sweets, so I found the shop, opened it and from day one I’d scoop to the elbow, it’s been busy from day one.
It’s the best job I’ve ever had, no one’s ever unhappy. It’s not like going to the dentist where everyone is scared. Everyone wants to be happy. They walk in the shop, and you run through the flavours, everyone’s happy. They want a flake or they want a lolly or they want some sweets. No one walks into this shop and says , ‘I’d better have an ice-cream’, everyone is really happy.
I was married for sort of thirty-odd years. My wife tragically died, and I became ill at the same time, I nearly died myself from cancer, survived it and took a year to mourn my loss and get back to health. I feel it’s time for me to move on and sort of, you know, keep my memories, and sort of all the great things that happened in the past, but move on and so something new just for me now.
My lifestyle, which I’m offering for sale, is my little three-bedroom cottage which is two minutes from the sea, down to the shopping harvestry and just along the beach, we’ve got the beach shop. But I thought why split up something so nice that’s taken me years to put together which someone else can enjoy it, and I’ve done the ground work for them.
People who say I’m a..., if they’re cynical about it, they are probably stuck in a dull job somewhere, they’re not going to walk on the beach and kick peddles and lick a nice ice-cream particularly  enough when you have to pay for it when you own the shop.
The funny thing is… the living image that would really help is a small community and yeah very bad for eighteen months of my life, losing my wife, becoming ill, but the people round here all’ve been good friends, and sort of rally round, you know, they are like family round here. I’d never move away now, once they all get into your heart. It’s as close as you get. If I find something better, I’ll let you know.
So next to me will be a bit of time off, bit of walking, bit of thinking, and then lying on the beach somewhere or walking in the mountains and coming up with another idea. I’m a collector in life but I don’t keep anything. I’m not a holder. So if I’ve touched it and it’s got a little bit of my DNA, I’m happy to pass it on.