lunes, 19 de noviembre de 2012

Katy Perry opens up to Ellen

This is a short extract of the interview to Katy Perry on the Ellen Show earlier this year. I think they are talking about Katy's film, Part of me, released this year.

Self-study activity:
Watch the clip and number the topics in the order they are mentioned.


Being myself
Turned down by record companies
Artists are not perfect
Failed marriage
Family rules




You can read the transcript here:
But like you said, you shot the good the bad, who knows what’s gonna happen in your life when you start shooting. You got married during that time.
I did.
And that then didn’t turn out to last. And now how and – that’s part of it still in there?
I thought it was important for me, well first of all, I thought it was important for me to show everything in between I think, sometimes, umm, people think that we’re perfect. And we know we’re not perfect, at all and I think it’s important to start breaking down the idea that, to achieve your dream you have to always be perfect, or flawless, or live in kind of some fantasy world. Ah so that’s why I decided to put everything into the film. In the most tasteful way.
Right.
But mostly it’s about how I got there and the ride along the way which can be bumpy but mostly it was extremely fun.
I think when people all of a sudden like you know you explode on the scene, you have a huge hit song and everybody like, you know, knows who Katy Perry is. What people don’t know is what you’ve gone through even to get to that point and you were dropped by 3 record labels.
Ya, I made a gospel record when I was 15 that didn’t pan out ah and then I was dropped by two other record labels and there was just a lot of the word “No” being sent my way, and I just never accepted that. So it was kind of like – for me growing up – it was like overcoming my family situation of me being sheltered and not being able to listen to like Secular music and then in the industry overcoming that. You know. Overcoming everyone saying ah it’s not gonna work cause a lot of people wanted me to be like someone whether it was a Kelly Clarkson, or a Avril Lavigne and I was like, well, I wanna be Katy Perry first. And they didn’t really understand that maybe cause my vision was so strong but finally I got to ah go with it and it’s kind of worked out.
Kind of?

Key:
1 Failed marriage
2 Artists are not perfect
3 Turned down by recording companies
4 Family rules
5 Being myself