jueves, 29 de diciembre de 2011

Garfunkel's poem for Simon's 70th birthday

Art Garfunkel, the musician, has performed the poem he wrote for Simon, his long-time collaborator. He read it on Radio 4, where you can listen to it.


When I said: "You'll outlast me, you live more carefully."
He said: "Write out what you want to."
Ok, it's hard to say I knew him well,
He was enigmatic to himself.
Which of us was more aware?
Which the elder?
I was born November fifth.
He on October 13th - a few weeks premature, you following me?
He was born three weeks before me, my dear,
But he was a premature baby.
Were we both conceived at the same instant?
February 5th 1941, the dead middle of winter,
In the heart of World War Two
Was I born at the right time?
For 70 years his arm has been around my shoulder,
He's dazzled me with gifts.
I nurtured him in his youth.
He brought me into prominence.
I taught him to sing.
He connected my voice to the world.
I made him tall.
All of our personal belongings are intertwined.
We say it's exhausting to compete,
But we shine for each other.
It's still our favourite game.
It goes on, this embrace, whether I speak for him or he for me:
Love ruled our lives.
It rules the mourners,
And the winter of longevity.